Courses & PROGRAMS
Faculties & divisions
Our Patron Saint – St. Thomas Aquinas
St. Thomas Aquinas (1225 – 1274) is one of the great teachers
of the medieval Catholic Church, honoured with the titles,
Post ordination and Doctorate in Sacred Theology, he started to teach with such lucidity, accuracy and inspiration that the students were attracted by the thousands – the University of Paris at that time counted 30,000 students. Thus he held two professorships at Paris, lived at the court of Pope Urban IV. He was the principal exponent of Scholastic Philosophy which interpreted Aristotle’s system in the light of Christian Teaching. In his relatively short life of 49 years, he is known to have composed some 60 works. Far surpassing everything else was his unrivalled Summa Theologica, a summary of Christian Philosophy and Theology. The beautiful Office and Mass for Corpus Christi, with its much loved hymns, Tantum Ergo and O Salutaris Hostia, were composed by him on the Pope’s orders.
Thomas Aquinas died while on his way to the Council of Lyons. He was canonized by Pope John XXII on 18th July, 1323, elevated to the dignity of ‘Doctor of the Church’ by Pope Pius V on 11th April, 1567 and in 1918, his name was included in the Code of Canon Law. Among other citations, St. Thomas Aquinas has also been declared the special Patron of all Catholic Universities and Educational Institutions.
We are fortunate to have such an intellectual giant and a holy priest as our Patron Saint. Let this humble and hard-working intellectual be our light and guide to all our lecturers and students. .
The Aquinas University College
The Aquinas University College was founded in 1953 by late very Rev. Fr. Peter A. Pillai OMI, Rector of St. Joseph’s College, at its premises in Darley Road, Colombo 10 as an autonomous higher education institute with the approval and the blessings and the inspiration of His Eminence Thomas Cardinal Cooray OMI., 6th Archbishop of Colombo. Aquinas was registered with the Ministry of Education of Ceylon as it was then called, in 1954 as Aquinas University College. In 1955 it was shifted to the present premises at 990 Maradana Road, Colombo 08.